 |
 |
 |
 |

|
 |
 |
 |
 |
Solomon R. Guggenheim, guided by the young German
artist Baroness Hilla Rebay von Ehrenwiesen, begins to
acquire a collection of Modern paintings.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Guggenheim's growing collectionincluding
masterworks by Marc Chagall, Robert Delaunay, Lyonel
Feininger, Albert Gleizes, Vasily Kandinsky, Paul Klee,
Fernand Léger, and László Moholy-
Nagyis installed in his private apartment at the
Plaza Hotel, New York. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The rapid expansion of the collection leads to
the formation of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
Incorporated in New York State, the foundation is endowed
to operate a museum. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Museum of Non-Objective Painting, with Rebay
as director, opens in rented quarters at 24 East 54th
Street after a long search for a space in which to house
and exhibit the collection.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Guggenheim commissions architect Frank Lloyd
Wright to design a permanent structure to house the
museum. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Wright's designs for a spiral-shaped building
begin to emerge. The spiral motif represents the
architect's interpretation of ancient Mesopotamian
ziggurats. The choice of this formal prototype may reflect
Rebay's desire to build a "temple of spirit."
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The first complete set of plans for the new
building is finished. The exhibition building is conceived
as one curvilinear,poured-concrete ramp spiraling upward
almost one hundred feet to a glass skylight. Set into a low
rectangular base, the grand cantilevered spiral, located at
the south end of the block, is attached to a smaller
circular service structure on the north, known as the
Monitor Building. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Museum of Non-Objective Painting moves from
54th Street to a renovated townhouse at 1071 Fifth
Avenue. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Wright redesigns the entire complex, streamlining
the structure. Revisions include the elimination of a
terrace garden and walkway at the base of the dome, a
simplification of the Monitor Building, the addition of a
photography department, and a general widening of the
ramps. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Ground is broken on the tract of land acquired by
the Guggenheim Foundation, located between 88th and 89th
streets and facing Fifth Avenue. The museum is relocated to
temporary quarters in a townhouse at 7 East 72nd
Street. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Construction of the 1071 Fifth Avenue building.
Director James Johnson Sweeney demands several interior
changes to accommodate the needs of the growing
institution, including increased office and library space,
an artificial lighting system as opposed to Wright's design
for natural illumination, and the elimination of sloping
walls. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum opens to the public
on October 21, 1959, six months after Wright's death and
ten years after the death of Guggenheim.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The museum decides to construct an annex behind
the existing Frank Lloyd Wright structure to house
administrative and storage facilities. The building
addition is designed by William Wesley Peters, Wright's
son-in-law. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Construction of the annex. Although designed as a
six-story structure, only four floors are constructed due
to financial limitations. Because the administration
recognizes that future expansion is inevitable, the
foundation of the annex is built with the capacity to
support a ten-story building.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Wright building undergoes further structural
alterations with the addition of a restaurant and bookstore
on the ground floor. To accommodate these additions, the
driveway between the rotunda and the Monitor Building is
enclosed and the sculpture garden along 89th Street is
transformed into an outdoor café.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Peggy Guggenheim, Solomon's niece, transfers her
collection, which is especially strong in Surrealist work,
and the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni on the Grand Canal in
Venice, to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation. It is
agreed that the works of art in the Peggy Guggenheim
Collection will remain in Venice.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Aye Simon Reading Room, designed by Richard
Meier, is established in a meeting-room space off the
second ramp in the rotunda of the Wright building. A
keyhole-shaped entrance to the Reading Room is
created. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
In an attempt to relieve the constraints imposed
on the exhibition of the permanent collection by the
spatial limitations of the Wright building, a small
gallerycalled Pioneers of Twentieth-Century
Artis established in an area on the fourth floor of
the Monitor Building formerly occupied by the director's
office. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Further responding to the Museum's physical
limitations, which make it increasingly difficult to
exhibit large-scale contemporary art and to house
adequately the growing professional staff, the foundation
decides to proceed with an expansion program. Gwathmey
Siegel & Associates Architects is engaged to do a study
of the museum's needs and to furnish a design.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The existing four-story Annex is demolished, save
for the foundation and the second and fourth floors, to
prepare for construction of the new addition, which begins
late in the year. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The museum undergoes an extensive renovation. The
addition of a nine-story limestone-faced building, designed
by Gwathmey Siegal and based on a background structure
proposed by Wright in 1951, provides space for
administrative offices and four floors of galleries capable
of accommodating large-scale art. The Wright building has
been restored to its "pre-opening" condition, and it opens
to the public in its entirety for the first time on June
28, 1992. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Guggenheim Museum SoHo, designed by Arata
Isozaki, is established in a building at 575 Broadway. The
museum includes extensive gallery space, as well as a
retail store, public areas, and administrative offices. It
opens to the public on June 28, 1992.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Guggenheim Museum SoHo becomes a center for
multimedia and high-technology arts. It also showcases
other forms of contemporary art and the museum's postwar
permanent collection. |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Two years of discussions result in an alliance
between the government of the Basque Country and the
Guggenheim Foundation, and construction of the Guggenheim
Museum Bilbao takes place. Designed by Frank Gehry, the
museum, located in the Basque region of northern Spain,
opens to the public on October 19, 1997. Exhibited are
works from the Solomon R. Guggenheim collection, as well as
several site- specific commissions completed for the new
museum by contemporary artists.
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
The Deutsche Guggenheim Berlin, designed by
Richard Gluckman and located on the Unter den Linden, opens
to the public on November 7. The single, generously
proportioned gallery is located in an elegant 1920s
building, in the Berlin headquarters of Deutsche Bank. The
exhibitions program focuses on commissions of major works
by international artists as well as loan shows organized by
Guggenheim curators. |
 |
 |
 |